The idea of converting old furniture into new, high-end custom cabinetry is quite tempting for a number of reasons. First of all, designer cabinets tailored to your specific requirements don’t always come cheap. Secondly, who wouldn’t like to channel his or her inner artist for one day, turn old and odd into new and beautiful and impress guests with tasteful, modern cabinets that look like new? Shabby chic furniture is in great demand at this point, mostly because it enables your indoor space to send a welcoming, friendly vibe and display a recognizable style. So how could you obtain the perfect shabby chic custom kitchen cabinets using your own supplies and old furniture?
- Prep the Surface for Painting. Start by removing all hardware elements from your old cabinets and strip the existing coat of paint using Nitromors or sandpaper. Once you’re done, dip a clean cloth in warm water and use it to remove dust from the surface that you want to pain. Before actually applying the paint, don’t forget to distribute a quality primer on your cabinets. Primers help the paint adhere better and also ensure a longer-lasting finish.
- Apply Two Coats of Paint. Afterwards, you can use a small brush to apply two coats of paint on your cabinets. White, ivory, beige, gold and warm pastels are the best options at hand if you are planning on recreating the iconic shabby chic look.
- Achieve the Distressed Look. Shabby chic furniture has a lot of personality. You can take your custom cabinets to a whole new level by creating a distressed effect. Let the paint on your furniture dry for 24 hours; then get back to work. Use 180-grit sandpaper to sand your cabinets repeatedly in the same direction in the areas where the first signs of wear and tear would normally occur (edges, raised areas, surface surrounding your drawers and so on).
- Get Creative and Start Personalizing Your Custom Cabinets. To give your cabinets character, you could always choose to add a few motifs to beautify your work in progress. Floral patterns are perfect for shabby chic furniture and guarantee a very delicate and feminine look. Once you’re done with the painting, don’t forget to apply a layer of varnish or beeswax to protect the finish of the custom kitchen cabinetsthat you have decided to bring back to life.
Let a Kitchen Remodel Expert Lead the Way! As easy as it may seem, this project can turn out to be quite complex and time-consuming. If you don’t want to spend a couple of days covered in paint and thick layers of dust, just contact your favorite team of kitchen remodel experts and start talking about your expectations in terms of custom cabinetry. No matter what kind of cabinets you want to create for your indoor space, we have the best design ideas for your upcoming project. Don’t overstress yourself with tiny details. Give us a call and let our specialists surprise you with the gorgeous furniture pieces tailored to your personal preferences, budget and the unique style of your home.
Robin’s award winning designs have been recognized by several National and Regional design contests.
Latest posts by Robin Slattery (see all)
- The Ultimate Guide To Planning A Kitchen - May 14, 2019
- The Kitchen Triangle – Why You Need To Design Around It - April 9, 2019
- Making Recycling Easier In The Kitchen - March 12, 2019