If you take functionality and style into consideration, designing your kitchen in a new home or remodeling an existing kitchen can be a breeze.
An article from HGTV states that functionality takes priority over the other elements of kitchen design.
Additionally, when adding your individual style, the space will give everyone in the room a sense of your own unique tastes, not only in the food you serve, but in your décor as well.
Let’s take a look at the importance of the following questions and how they play a role in your overall use of the most important room in your home:
When it comes to functionality, considering the number of people who will be using the kitchen is paramount. The space shouldn’t be crowded while cooking or eating meals.
- Does your kitchen size comfortably accommodate all of the family members in your home?
- Are there enough seats for each person to eat at one time? Do you need a breakfast nook, island or peninsula?
- Is there enough counter and floor space for more than one person to prepare and cook meals at once?
Determining the habits that will take place in your kitchen helps you configure what it necessary to include and what you can live without.
- Is your kitchen mainly used to put together quick meals on the go?
- Is cooking a main hobby that you enjoy on a regular basis?
- Is there a lot of baking that goes on in your kitchen as opposed to just cooking dinners?
If you or someone in your household enjoys cooking, then storage is a must. There needs to be a place to put all of the necessary equipment.
- Are pots and pans stored for easy access?
- Is there a place to put away small appliances when not in use, such as large mixers or crock pots?
- Is there ample cabinet space to tuck away dishes and serving trays?
If you are one who entertains on a regular basis, then a functional layout is a must.
- Is there space for your guests to move around and socialize in the kitchen or do they have to squeeze past one another due to a crowded area?
- Do you prefer to just one or two guests over at a time to enjoy a glass of wine, or do you require a large area to hold a number of people?
- Does an open concept kitchen appeal to you so you can easily converse with others in the next room without a separating wall?
One of the largest factors when purchasing a home is the style and condition of the kitchen. The resale value will be much higher if your kitchen is updated and functional.
- Is your kitchen up to date with the latest appliances?
- Is your color scheme in line with the current trends?
- Are your cabinets, counter tops, flooring and light fixtures outdated?
If you are unsure about where to start, don’t hesitate to ask for help. A kitchen that is attractive, comfortable and efficient can be easily achieved by consulting with an experienced professional. Reliable designers will introduce you to new ideas that you may have never thought of.
Be sure to look at the designer’s portfolios to see previous projects and what styles and elements appeal you. You will be able to view the versatility of their creations as well as the quality of their work.
For further reading about creating the kitchen of your dreams, check out: Top 6 Questions You Need To Ask Yourself Before Any Kitchen Redesign and Selling Your Home? – Update Your Kitchen To Maximize Returns.
Robin’s award winning designs have been recognized by several National and Regional design contests.
Latest posts by Robin Slattery (see all)
- How To Work Out Where All Your Power Points Will Go - March 10, 2020
- Where To Find Kitchen Design Inspiration - February 11, 2020
- Not All Countertops Are Created Equal - January 14, 2020